Go for 10 sets:
Just to be clear, going up and down is one set. Or down and up. You can’t call going down and up as 2 sets!
Do the 10 sets walking, not running. Stretch hamstrings, quadriceps and calves at the top each time.
To make it a whole body workout, we will add exercises at the top and / or bottom of the stairs.
Top of the stairs: Using the grassy area in the middle of 4th near Adelaide.
- Push ups: 10 reps
- Planks: 1 minute
- Triangle push-ups: 10 reps
- Hip lifts (to engage more glutes for the stairs, if you cramp, eliminate them): 15 reps
- Crunches (nothing fancy here): 15 reps
- Elastic band biceps curl: 15 reps
- Elastic band lateral raise: 15 reps
- Elastic band pull-aparts (rear deltoids) – choke up on the band part not using the handles and pull apart til the band touches your chest: 15 reps (adjust grip to make it burn)
- Elastic band row wrapped around the barricade or a tree (in case you can’t do the pull ups at the bottom): 15 reps
Bottom of the stairs: There are pull up bars placed along the sidewalk – I just assume they are there for exercise. Near the 4th street concrete stairs and the 6th street wooden stairs.
Pull ups: 10 reps or until failure (I need a chair to reach the bars, can’t jump anymore!)
Now you’ve obviously got to adjust the reps and resistance for you but I think I provided a good guideline.
Want to target your glutes more on the stairs?
Here are 3 ways to work more glutes on the Santa Monica stairs:
- Make an effort to hinge at your hip with step and squeeze your working leg’s glute.
- Lift your free leg back behind you with each step but just make sure not to kick anyone behind you!
- Step partially sideways – at a 45 degree angle. I would say this is more for the hips (saddlebags).
No pressure, but my girlfriend and I used to do 15 sets on the concrete stairs…
Yes, all these tips work on any stairs, even the stepmill.
Bonus: After the complete stairs workout you can upgrade your glute shaping by adding this kneeling glute tri-set! (3 sets of 20)
Online Personal Training Puts Your Excuses To Rest
Who wouldn’t want to have the amazing results that people get from an elite personal trainer? We all look at the incredible bodies that celebrities have and think to ourselves: “Well sure if I could hire a top of the line trainer every month, I could probably look that great too.”
It’s hard to justify investing in the trainer at your local gym who may or may not have the experience and know-how to get you the results you want. Plus, sometimes getting to the gym at all is difficult because of young children, accessibility issues or schedule conflicts.
Well, the excuses end here, because with online personal training you can have one of the most premium personal trainers in the world giving you a customized training program from the privacy of your own home. You will receive a custom plan for your nutrition, your cardio program and your weight training outline designed to meet your specific goals. Plus you will be receiving your training from the winner of the Mr. America bodybuilding competition. Jason Kozma is the best. The kind of trainer celebrities and athletes spend top dollar for. You would not find in your local gym, but with online training you can get the same world class results his face to face clients enjoy no matter where you are located. You can be Mr. America’s client anywhere in the world!
Forget creating your own workout routine at home, have a professional personal trainer and bodybuilding champion create your program and see what an incredible difference it makes in your life. An important aspect of hiring a professional trainer is having the accountability from a fitness expert that expects to get results. Jason’s online personal training program will set the bar high and push you to do your best. If you are wish to lose weight, increase your muscle mass, build endurance, begin to compete in fitness competitions or just get in shape to feel good, Jason’s online training program is about getting results that will change your life. Our before and after photos speak for themselves.
- Click here to check out client before and after photos
- Click here to read Client Testimonials
- Click here to find out more about online personal training.